Books

Talk about anything here!

Books

Alina
Alina

Dec 17 2015, 05:29 PM #1

Since there hasn't been any topic one the forum like this I decided to create it.
Here you can talk about books you lately read, books worthy giving a glance, share your opinions on books you had to read for schools an universities or anything of that kind related to books.

My favourite book which struggled to get me into reading was 'Ranger's Apprentice', maybe you have heard about it. The story is set in a fantasy world based on Europe, though 'Japan' also has an appearance there. To make it short, the plot tells the tale of a 15-year- old who as an 'English' orphan of the Redmont Castle and faces the task to choose the profession wchich his life will be connected from that time, but he doesn't succeed in getting what he wants.

Now I am reading 'The Black Magician trilogy'. I found the book one OK and hope the other two will be even better.

serinata
Advanced Member
serinata
Advanced Member

Dec 18 2015, 06:12 AM #2

Ooh, I remember reading the first couple books in the Ranger's Apprentice series. It was definitely one of my favorites back in the day, even if I remember very little about it now.

I used to read a LOT of books, but lately, I don't read that many books. T^T
I still technically read a lot, but it's switched to fanfics of all things. QQ

Books that I still read: anything written by Ilona Andrews. <3 <3 <3
Her Kate Daniels series is my favorite, but the Edge series was nice, and so was the Innkeeper Chronicles. I used to check her blog for snippets everyday, but I haven't been able to for a few months now due to a busier schedule. ;-;

I also love Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series (and I like her Alpha and Omega series too), but I'm behind a few books for it. :/

BaboKim
Advanced Member
BaboKim
Advanced Member

Dec 18 2015, 12:29 PM #3

My favorite book, or should I say book series of all-time, and a def must read, will be the 'Millennium series' by Stieg Larsson.

All 3 books in the series are my top 3 favorites, each getting better than the last. Everything about it was brilliant, the characters, the plot, the action, etc. IT just sucks you in and makes it harder for you to stop reading. mhmm

Annie_May
Advanced Member
Annie_May
Advanced Member

Dec 18 2015, 02:56 PM #4

During the summer I read some of The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. She used to write Sailor Moon fan fiction and you can really tell from the books. There's a lot of similarities. They are a fun read.

My favourite author is Jane Austen, love her books, can't recommend them enough. She is funny, witty and sarcastic, I adore her.

EDIT: OMG! I just looked it up and a new book in The Lunar Chronicles series has come out. Going to read it as soon as I get home, I can't wait. Thanks for posting this thread, I'd never have thought to check.

Sibemolle

Dec 19 2015, 03:22 PM #5

Aaaah, books!
With school and other stuff, I've read very little, but I want to change things. Even few pages a day. *nod*
However, in these day I've been sick, so I stayed at home and I read something short, like Mrs Dalloway and Six Characters in Search of an Author which I had on my shelf for a looong time.
Now I'm searching something to read... probably I'll try those you've mentioned, who knows!

I recently found Goodreads (yep, I didn't know it existed since... 2 days ago?) and I think I'll grow addicted to it... please, help!

Lyre91
Advanced Member
Lyre91
Advanced Member

Dec 19 2015, 05:52 PM #6

My favorite book is gone with the wind. Also I really love count de Monte-Cristo

moonangelica

Dec 19 2015, 07:56 PM #7

My current favourite is A Net of Dawn and Bones which is by my fav fanfic author Vathara, seriously I'll read anything she writes - its always amazing.

Dec 19 2015, 07:57 PM #8

As an Electrical Engineering major, I can't say I have a lot of books I had to read for school that would be worth mentioning, unless you're really interested in Information Coding Theory or RF Theory & Design. "^_^

Personally, I'm not sure I have a 'favorite' book, but I've really enjoyed both the Haruhi and Spice & Wolf light novels. I haven't finished the Spice & Wolf books yet (I've only read up to book 6), however.

The book that I'm most proud of the fact that I read was J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Silmarillion', which is INCREDIBLY difficult to read and to follow. If there is anyone here who has not only read that and followed it, but has read it multiple times just for fun, I want to meet you and shake your hand, because you are a special brand of human being. :lol:

Asanna
Asanna

Dec 19 2015, 10:43 PM #9

My favourite books are Lord of the Rings trilogy, Game of Thrones series and Harry Potter. Haven't read anything good in a while but the last good book that I remember was The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss.

Maevenya

Dec 20 2015, 12:12 AM #10

My favourite ones are Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Black Magician, Redwall (at least I liked it as a kid, maybe I'll re-read it sometime) and a lot more high fantasy books.
The book that I'm most proud of the fact that I read was J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Silmarillion', which is INCREDIBLY difficult to read and to follow. If there is anyone here who has not only read that and followed it, but has read it multiple times just for fun, I want to meet you and shake your hand, because you are a special brand of human being. laugh.gif
@Caelum Solaris: I know the feeling :D I tried to read it several times, but I always ended up like this :blink: after a couple of pages. Sometimes I look up one of the stories that were mentioned in the Lord of the Rings or by people I know, who read the Silmarillion. I think I read about half of it by now, heard of a little more and forgot almost all of the names. :lol:

Lilka
Advanced Member
Lilka
Advanced Member

Dec 20 2015, 12:22 AM #11

My favourite books are Harry Potter and all titles from Jules Verne - especially 'Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea', 'The Mysterious Island' and 'In Search of the Castaways'. All of these I can read again, again and again and I'm never bored.

Sodalith

Dec 20 2015, 07:53 PM #12

I'm pretty much obsessed with a song of ice and fire. That's the book series behind the tv show game of thrones
I liked the show but the books are just incredibly awesome
I have never read a book about such a well thought story, world, details, character development and so on

The author really is creating a complex and stunning fantasy world
and I absolutely love the books

deanzel
deanzel

Dec 20 2015, 09:00 PM #13

I'm not a huge book person but aside from the obvious popular series, I really enjoyed Ken Follett's "The Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End" novels (they're loosely related).

hyunseung♥

Dec 21 2015, 11:27 PM #14

It's been a while since I've read a book for fun because I've been busy with college. I usually read young adult and urban fantasy books. My favorite authors are Ilona Andrews and Patricia Briggs.

Last book I read was End of Days by Susan Ee.

charlieiq

Dec 22 2015, 05:51 AM #15

I like fantasy and historical fiction. I read Pride and Prejudice in 8th grade and had read all of Austen's completed novels by the time I graduated high school. I'm not really a fan of contemporary fiction, but The Fault in Our Stars was pretty good, and I've never read a book by Melina Marchetta that I didn't like.

heyleigh05

Dec 22 2015, 07:47 PM #16

I haven't had time to do fun reading since starting college but I started the GoT series last summer and I hope to resume while we are on winter break.
I have the hardest time remembering all the books that I have read but the first series that I fell in love with was the hunger games series in eighth grade.
I'm currently reading linguistics books because that is what I really want to study but the college I go to does not offer it : (.

riverdaughter

Dec 23 2015, 09:16 PM #17

I'm currently reading A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, by George RR Martin and rereading (by audiobook while I drive... I do a lot of driving for work) the Wheel of Time series. I'm on the last book, A Memory of Light. It has taken a very long time to listen to all the books but it's been worth it. Brandon Sanderson did an excellent job with writing the end of the series after Robert Jordan passed away.

I recently read an excellent trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay, the Fionavar Tapestry. It was very well written, very Tolkien-ish.

On the "waiting to be released" list I have The Winds of Winter, by George RR Martin; the 3rd Stormlight Archives book by Brandon Sanderson; and Doors of Stone by Patrick Rothfuss.

Nipah
Nipah

Dec 23 2015, 10:03 PM #18

Ah books! Though I rarely read them nowadays due to lack of time, I used to like reading classics like The Count of Monte Cristo, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Moonstone. I also adore the Sherlock Holmes series.

kairos
kairos

Dec 24 2015, 03:08 AM #19

If you like Ilona Andrews you'll also probably like Nalini Singh and Jeaniene Frost (I don't like them as much, but still reasonable).
I also really like Anne Bishop's new series the others (starts with Written in Red)

kunoichihime
Advanced Member
kunoichihime
Advanced Member

Dec 24 2015, 11:14 AM #20

I read a variety of books. For romance, my fave author is Jude Deveraux. I try to keep updated with her books but I find myself reading other genres first.

I love Game of Thrones and wish that GRR Martin would release the Winds of Winter faster. I hope he doesn't keel over and die all of a sudden before finishing A Song of Ice and Fire. I also love reading about the Dresden Files and hope that Jim Butcher just finish the series since he plans on releasing 20++ books -_-

I'm also discovering the delight of reading Young Adult fiction and have added Eragon, The Old Kingdom/Abhorsen, and Wicked to my reading list. Right now, I'm reading the Outlander series and Neil Gaiman.

Dec 28 2015, 02:09 AM #21

Well, right now I'm reading a game of thrones, but it's not fun because I spoiled it by watching a bunch of the television show first >_< But I stopped after the first season, and am hoping to read all the available books before I get to the show again.

story645
story645

Dec 29 2015, 06:04 AM #22

Just knocked out the Throne of Glass books and have so many rants about them, mostly boiling down to multiple POVs shouldn't all sound the same and a huge distaste for the way the newest love interest was introduced.

Adventure

Dec 29 2015, 01:19 PM #23

Just wanted to drop a line here about my favorite book, Norwegian Wood by Harkins Murakami. It's depressing at times but I think it's a really good read, big on human nature and love & loss as Murakami loves so much haha.

Silverfoxkit
Advanced Member
Silverfoxkit
Advanced Member

Dec 29 2015, 03:16 PM #24

One of my favorite series in books is by Laura Joh Rowland, The Sano Ichiro series, its a historical fiction, murder mystery. Then there is The Abhorsen series by Garath Nix, he is great. Quite a few romance novels one to be noted granted it has some smutt, Elizabeth V... I forget the last name its called Warprize. Then there Sandman books...the list goes on. I did read most of the Harry potter books back then, I am guilty of enjoying them, and dragon, and lots and chronicles of narnia, Acorna, Dragons of pern and the list continues...Dogsbody was one of the first novels I picked up on my own and that was in elementary school, I was doomed to be a book worm from that moment on. So long, I am sorry if I rambled. :unsure:

Dec 29 2015, 03:49 PM #25

My favorite genres have always been Romance & Fantasy, so the books I read tend to gravitate towards those kind of things (i.e. magic, adventure, shape-shifters, kingdoms, etc)

Anything by the authoress Vivian Vande Velde is pretty good. My favorite from her would have to be Dragon's Bait. It's about a young girl accused of being a witch, how she loses everything, meets a shape shifting dragon, and plots her revenge.The romance inside her books are more subtle, so it may frustrate younger readers (I know it upset me, hehe). I like it when they show more affection.

If anyone likes trashy romance books the Tairen Soul series by C.L. Wilson is pretty good. It is a story about Ellysetta and how she meets legendary Fae King Rainier vel'En Daris. Really. What's not to love? Romance, the beautiful Fae, magic, three different kingdoms, an interesting made up language, awesome names, etc.

Be warned that there is some sexually explicit content, as all trashy romance novels are known to have. It really does have a decent story though. XD

Julia Quinn is a great author for that genre as well. Hers are more of an English period romance.