Manga or Anime?

Discuss about your favorite manga or anime here.
keiichannn

21 Dec 2015, 09:31 #126

I really prefer manga because it is more in-depth compared to anime wherein sometimes the adaptation ruins the plot and has crappy ending. But ofc there are also times where I'm lazy to read and I just want to watch then that's the time when I prefer anime over manga (ofc this depends on the anime, I usually only watch anime if it has good plot and where my fav seiyuu is).

blah
Advanced Member
blah
Advanced Member

21 Dec 2015, 21:38 #127

It depends on the series. Mangas usually have more depth and better art, but animes have music and voice actors and action.

Sheramel

21 Dec 2015, 22:54 #128

For series with both manga and anime, I usually prefer the original version. In most cases I prefer the manga though. Anime adaptations just don't carry the story line as good as their original counterpart. In a few, or most of the animes that I've watched, the animators butchered the story line until it's unrecognizable (Pandora Hearts, I'm looking at you). The comedic moments are usually too exaggerated when they're animated. It's tolerable and may even elicit some/many laughs out of you in the manga form, but somehow when they're animated, the jokes become too exaggerated and cringe worthy. Character design in animes are usually simpler and not as detailed as the manga version. That's a moot point but I guess I'm one who prefers detailed designs. Akatsuki no Yona is an exception. The anime does the manga justice (or maybe I'm just biased). Macross Frontier has pretty character designs, and I also absolutely love the story line (though it gets pretty trashy at some points).

hyunseung♥

21 Dec 2015, 23:31 #129

Definitely prefer manga. I tried to watch anime again last night and it was just so cringe-y, or maybe I just chose bad animes.

trinakat

22 Dec 2015, 23:13 #130

I'm weak and generally lazy, so I'd probably go with anime. It takes less effort to imagine when everything is laid out for you (especially action series). But non-action, non-fantasy series don't have that same level of problem, so I guess it depends.

bird3kids
Advanced Member
bird3kids
Advanced Member

23 Dec 2015, 00:16 #131

I enjoy both, but it is easier to take manga with me while I'm working. Manga is also easier to savor; going back and rereading a section slowly for clarification. There have also been plenty of anime that I wish were manga. My kids prefer to watch anime.

Imp
Imp

23 Dec 2015, 22:07 #132

A lot of the time watching the anime gets me into the manga.

happypengu

23 Dec 2015, 23:00 #133

I usually like the art better in manga, but it's understandable that the character designs in anime may not be as good as the manga. Anime is great with color and voice actors. The voice actors really bring the manga to life! But with the manga, you could get to the characters better because the anime may cut off some of their development. But I enjoy seeing manga with lots of movement or action in anime better. There's pros and cons to both heh!

vera
vera

27 Dec 2015, 17:25 #134

In my opinion both have their pros and cons
If you like reading one would choose mangas
but
animes have the advantage of motion and sound
well i prefer manga of course ;)

Bigo
Bigo

28 Dec 2015, 14:20 #135

Prefer manga more. The medium allows both the author liberties in terms of dictating the pacing of the story and to add little details which are often neglected or cut out from anime due to budget concerns.

Acesoldia
Advanced Member
Acesoldia
Advanced Member

28 Dec 2015, 15:59 #136

I prefer anime, can sit back on my couch and marathon anime more than i can read manga.

and since i prefer shounen or seinen, sometimes the fights are way easier to follow + epic music and animaiton, in anime form over manga.

BaboKim
Advanced Member
BaboKim
Advanced Member

29 Dec 2015, 00:47 #137

I love both and it's hard to choose because if done too much you can tire of either but it really depends on the amount of anime there is for me to watch, or manga/manhwa/manhua for me to read. If theres a lot to read to which I wont run out of things that interest me than manga, and likewise for anime.

But anime allows me to be super lazy and not constantly clicking to get to new page (unless I'm reading on a reader that allows all pages to be displayed at once). So anime,

alueira
Advanced Member
alueira
Advanced Member

29 Dec 2015, 02:15 #138

I'd have to say I prefer manga. You can get further into the plot than with animes, especially since so many don't get second seasons. The author also has a lot more license to develop characters accurately rather than in anime, where it sometimes seems kind of sudden to me.

Hakuno
Hakuno

31 Dec 2015, 19:39 #139

i choose both i guess .. when i dont feel like reading i 'll wath anime and if i dont feel like watching i'll switch with manga

Stormen
Stormen

01 Jan 2016, 14:57 #140

Anime 9 times out of 10.

jampidampi

02 Jan 2016, 14:07 #141

Both. I start by reading the manga, since usually you can a get a better picture of the characters and their thoughts from it and if I like it I'll try out the anime sometime later to relive the experience. If the anime is well executed and has a good soundtrack it can add so much to the experience.

23itSoWC
Advanced Member
23itSoWC
Advanced Member

02 Jan 2016, 21:28 #142

Manga

Anime adaptations cut out a lot of content and are worse than their source material most of the time.

TV anime series are it the worst when it comes to cutting out content because they have to fit within the time constraints of 24 minute episodes for a 10-13 or 22-26 episode season. OVAs and film's have it somewhat better with their more flexible time constraints, but less overall chapters are adapted with the latter than the former.

Hadia
Hadia

03 Jan 2016, 00:24 #143

I prefer reading manga because I need my own time ahahaah when I'm watching anime I found myself replaying the scenes so it is easier going back of some pages instead! It really is important to me! I had some problems with shonen but now i can interpret the actions :P
ah and I have to add that in general I like books over movies and how great it feels to touch the ruvid paper with your hands(paper pervet? ahahah) and another strange but good thing is founding out my thumb turned black from reading too many manga :rolleyes:
I'm Italian... If I make grammar mistakes let me know! Thank you

[My profile pic is from Tarantaranta: one of my favorite mangas]

skulduggery
Advanced Member
skulduggery
Advanced Member

03 Jan 2016, 08:41 #144

My manga library trumps my anime one several times over. I have so many books that I ran out of space on my bookshelves and had to double layer my books. It's rather inconvenient to try to get any book from the back. ^^;; Reading has always been my preferred medium which is likely why I gravitated better toward manga since it combines the written word with beautiful art.

knt
knt

04 Jan 2016, 02:11 #145

I love the color and dynamics of anime. I find I can enjoy manga once I've got the image of the anime characters in my head, but don't have the motivation to start with manga. Perhaps that's mostly because it takes more time.

Junseiyuri

07 Jan 2016, 00:41 #146

Manga since it goes into more detail on the characters/story/etc. Also because manga don't have to cut corners like Anime have to. While I do like watching Anime and love it when a manga I'm reading get an adaptation I still like manga better in the end

Lux
Advanced Member
Lux
Advanced Member

07 Jan 2016, 00:45 #147

I use to be anime over manga, but now I am more for the manga of anything over the anime. EXCEPT for Yumeiro Patissiere, the only anime I ever thought did a better job than the manga.

Dolciette

07 Jan 2016, 00:49 #148

I am definitely more of a manga person!! I've always been a pretty big reader, so I tend to stick with mangas. Reading one chapter also takes a LOT less time than watching an episode, so I end up reading more because of the time factor.
I also appreciate the art more in manga, although I will say that some animes have absolutely stunning animations. It's easier for me to not get distracted when reading (for some reason). Anime adaptations usually end up disappointing me, so I try to stick to animes that stand on their own (Shingeki no Kyojin is an exception I can think of off the top of my head). c:

paperfox
paperfox

07 Jan 2016, 01:20 #149

I like both for different reasons - I find anime more relaxing? and it's an easier way for me to find new stuff I like. It's how I found AnY.

I usually read manga when an anime I really like ends too abruptly and there's no chance of more episodes.

lalaloo
lalaloo

16 Jan 2016, 20:46 #150

I enjoy both, but since I started with anime first, I tend to prefer watching to reading. I do enjoy reading the manga before an anime adaptation though, since it's way more detailed, but I enjoy watching the anime afterwards for the animation sequence so I don't have to imagine it in my head LOL.