Manga or Anime?

Discuss about your favorite manga or anime here.
Yoonassi

19 Jan 2016, 06:44 #151

I prefer manga for several reasons:
- it's faster to read several chapters vs several anime episodes X'D
- it's canon vs anime which sometimes has too many fillers (I hate filler soooo much)
- the plot will continue until the end. Anime often have 1-2 seasons and you will still need to read the manga to find out what happens next

I mostly watch anime just for the visuals, it's pretty good for shounen, which is usually filled with lots of action scenes.

lilian
lilian

25 Jan 2016, 14:08 #152

Hi there!

I have to say I prefer manga over anime because it seems you are capturing a valuable moment longer than having it on video. Also I think the anime makers either they can't convey or it is impossible to transfer the feeling a reader knows and understands when he/she is reading a story. Other than that mangas have everything in more detail and they last longer (volumes vs episodes). Of course they are exeptions to every rule...

Lyn
Lyn

15 Feb 2016, 17:11 #153

I almost always prefer manga to anime, especially if the anime was adapted from the manga (there are a few exceptions though). This is mostly because I feel like manga generally goes more into detail about the world, the subplots and the characters, and a lot of the time the anime cuts things out and feels rushed.

jem018
jem018

21 Feb 2016, 15:41 #154

I love them both.

I guess for me it just depends on whether or not I want to read or watch something.

kytticat

22 Feb 2016, 02:56 #155

I can put on anime in the background, but manga is a much more "active" experience (and also when I get impatient I can go through more much faster).

However, I definitely got started watching anime since it's more accessible!

achoicoi

22 Feb 2016, 16:15 #156

manga is much better because it has the specifics of the story and many details that the anime skips. anime can be fun for animation, but anime make me easier to find the scenes that I like and I would watched it in many times😁

reddernat

08 Apr 2016, 07:29 #157

Even though I love anime, I read manga a lot more because it's faster. Also, because it's usually the "original", it keeps closer to the plot and the characters. I usually watch anime for the animation and color.

shakuya
shakuya

23 Apr 2016, 14:45 #158

I prefer manga over anime. because i love reading than watching..

27 Apr 2016, 02:49 #159

Format-wise, these days I tend to prefer watching the anime more-so than reading the manga. I only tend to start reading the manga when I've seen the entire anime, know there's more story out there, and then start reading the manga.

Manga seems to have more world building, which as a consumer I enjoy more. I want to know all the things. And manga seems to provide that if I've fallen head over feels for a fandom.

But consuming anime these days is easier.... I tend not to have a whole list of manga to read.

Sharu
Sharu

08 May 2016, 05:59 #160

For me manga is still the best.
As many said in the thread, reading the manga is a more active experience where one can imagine the animation, tone and attitude, so as to have it exactly as one likes it or would expect it.
There is indeed often room for disappointment in anime, in particular for big series like One Piece or Naruto: many scenes are repeated too many times, or are stretched and frankly very long, near boring in some occasions. Since the releases are weekly, the quality of the animation is so-so (near 8 images a second instead of 24 images per second) and you can see it.

That being said, some anime are better than the manga to my mind.
Evangelion of course is a fine example, since anyways the original was the anime and the manga only came later.
My latest example is Attack on Titans, where the animation is one of the finest I've ever seen, which makes it so alives that it even surpasses the reading of the manga as far as I am concerned. A truly brilliant show to watch.

allymarei

11 May 2016, 23:22 #161

I enjoy manga much, much more. The only time I watch anime series is If I am totally in love with a series or if it is an action series. I tend to like shounen series for anime. This is probably because I feel like I spend so long with a manga series, waiting for releases, re-reading to tide me over. Then I get the anime which I can finish in a few days which leaves me feeling unsatisfied.

cdtkd2000

31 May 2016, 17:27 #162

I mostly prefer manga over anime. You just lose a lot of details when manga is adapted to anime. However, sometimes anime is just better since you can get a better feel or impact from a scene. For instance, there's a big difference when reading the manga scenes in Skip Beat where Kyoko does the promo clip and the Curara commercial. Seeing her strangle Sho in the anime and crying in the scene was amazing and how Kyoko utilized the soda with Moko. I wish they would continue the anime.

ruchiki
ruchiki

12 Jun 2016, 01:19 #163

I like anime better. I get to sit back and enjoy the animation, music, and the characters that come to life.

xmaria88

15 Sep 2016, 17:27 #164

Cant live without either. Manga since it's the source material but i still like watching moving characters instead of just reading. I hate dubbed anime though

avrilmartinez

02 Nov 2016, 04:59 #165

Anime, I can't get over the fact that manga is not colored. I prefer animation or just letters(aka books) where I can use my imagination and play it in my head.

pixie
Advanced Member
pixie
Advanced Member

26 Dec 2016, 03:03 #166

Manga. Anime can change a lot and also shortened. just like books or movie, unless when it comes to action.

Piq
Piq

30 Dec 2016, 03:16 #167

Heh, it depends.

Sports? Anime all the way.

Action? Usually manga unless the animators did an amazing job. Bad and mediocre action shots lose me very, very quickly. Repetitive gestures get old especially fast, too, when animated.

But then there's quirky little things like an artist who doesn't put enough variety into his character designs, and anime can win out just for ease of recognizing because of the colors.

Most of the time, though, I do prefer manga, and by a lot. It gives me more control -- for certain characters I might slow down and mentally add dripping scorn or whatnot to their lines. Or I can read quickly~ I'm not at the mercy of a voice actor or someone else's idea of how the scene should flow. If I missed something it's easier to reread a page or panel than fiddle around with a track meter.

Then, there's the curse of the flashback and the bane of the recap. A flashback/recap that doesn't add anything new is a page skipped in a manga. But in anime, it's downright obnoxious.

Sub vs dub... I don't mind either more often than not. Dubs are somewhat more likely to have an inexperienced voice in the cast, although that's gotten leagues better in recent years. But on the flipside, I think dubs are a little more freeing in that I can put more attention on the art and expressions. Also, as a native English-speaker, a lot of English words/terms/phrases/titles suffering from consistent mispronunciation from a Japanese voice actor will bother me a lot (looking at you, Trigun).

31 Mar 2017, 19:00 #168

Both, it depends. Sometimes I find the pacing in manga too sudden, and I like anime better for the art, sound, improved pacing, etc. But sometimes anime messes up some plot points where in the manga are better.

demosin
demosin

02 Feb 2018, 07:29 #169

1. Manga, if the anime is adapted from manga.. I watch mainly the good scenes..
2. But, if it is adapted from light novels, then obviously anime even if there is an adapted manga of the LN series..