Manga or Anime?

Discuss about your favorite manga or anime here.
shiinarin

01 Dec 2015, 07:37 #76

Of course it's manga for shoujo genre. (for art quality)
But for shounen, I prefer it to be anime. (for fighting animation)

nev999
nev999

01 Dec 2015, 10:00 #77

In most cases, the manga usually has more content and is superior storytellingwise. But despite that, I tend to watch anime first in most cases, just because I like motion. For series I really like, I read them concurrently.

Of course there's a couple manga where the anime is far superior- Utena, for instance, imo. And there's quite a few where the manga and anime are equally good, but very different.

GenT
GenT

01 Dec 2015, 11:31 #78

Anime is superior because it moves, has sound and color but the demerit from plot standpoint is anime tend to rush so much compare to the original source, be it manga or light novel..

daedalron

01 Dec 2015, 13:39 #79

I usually prefer the manga to the anime. Better details mostly, and also, many anime are decided before the manga ends, and we get botched endings compared to the manga because of that.

Ryeochi
Ryeochi

01 Dec 2015, 14:25 #80

personally i prefer manga over anime cause of some reason, but i don't hate anime either.
well watching anime in my laptop can be a real pain sometimes (cause my laptop or my internet connection can be real slow)

i've only watch some anime like Kyou Kara Maoh, La Corda d'oro, one piece
but i've read maybe a thousand tittle of manga. My faforite manga such as Skip Beat, ookami Shojo to kuro ouji, Charming junkie, Monochrome Shounen Shoujo and a lot of works that still reread sometimes.

yumungmei
Advanced Member
yumungmei
Advanced Member

01 Dec 2015, 15:11 #81

Both. I like the manga because there are no filler arcs. I like the anime for the animation. :)
[color=9999FF]“Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”[/color]

kaaccaa146

01 Dec 2015, 21:52 #82

Though question. Earlier anime, now manga.

ayato
ayato

02 Dec 2015, 01:27 #83

manga ! bc sometime the anime cut some of the part of the manga and most of the time (for shounen) the anime like to add filler which is not rly interesting

02 Dec 2015, 01:47 #84

Difficult question. Mostly I view manga and anime differently, especially when there are adaptations from one another, since it is almost impossible to do a better adaptation than the original work, be it manga or anime, or in some cases, light novels.

I love the animes, but usually the mangas are my favourite, since they are (mostly) the original work and translate best the authors messages. Yes the animes are a good introduction to the story, a sort of the taste for the real thing, when they are not completely AU from the manga storyline. Then I kinda view them as official fiction work, since they use the 'image' of the characters, but not the story/personality.

As stated before somewhere and in diferent ways, it really depends on the manga/anime, and mostly for me, the storyline.
If it hooks me from the beginning, even if the manga plotline is different, I will defenitly watch the anime, because of my love of the manga, and I may happen to love the anime as it is made. (even if it is by being different from the original plot).

If this isn't a direct answer... sorry about that, but it is the most honest one I have.

kotsuki
kotsuki

05 Dec 2015, 01:29 #85

Hm.....I would prefer the original work (in some cases manga/novels) but then with anime, and with good adaptations, they would bring the work alive. That and, I follow quite a few seiyuus and the popular works would often feature them so...

mozukki
Advanced Member
mozukki
Advanced Member

05 Dec 2015, 06:00 #86

I usually prefer manga because some things get left out in the anime. However, the visual adaption really helps me understand the more action packed animes (like snk, naruto) better and it's always nice to see it rather than trying to imagine it. The AnY anime adaption was really well done though! beautifully animated and I liked how they switched some of the plots around. :D

Misty
Misty

05 Dec 2015, 07:38 #87

I like both equally. Anime have colour, sound and animation, but they usually adapt a small part of the manga, so they are left with an open ending or a rushed or abrupt ending. In the case of long running anime they usually have too many crappy fillers or recaps or too much stretching out so that they won't catch up to the manga. Manga have the complete story, though there are some manga that have an abrupt ending, but sometimes it's hard to understand what's going on during fights or who says what line.

gnilnish

05 Dec 2015, 11:04 #88

Usually manga because it's the original and complete. But personally I find it really hard to enjoy some shounen and action mangas but somehow when they are in anime form I just enjoy it so much more!!

Codex
Codex

07 Dec 2015, 08:28 #89

I usually go for both!

If a manga has a faithful anime adaptation, I usually prefer the anime. For some series in particular, the music and sound effects can really enhance the experience.

Consider, for example, the poor soul who has only ever read Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and never seen the opening animated to the song "ship of fools". Or how about the person who never got to tear up to -that- fateful moment in Hikaru no Go along with the distant bright twinkle of wind chimes or fall in love with the grandeur of go as the epic theme "Hand of God" plays.

Verbal comic delivery can also be a key factor making the anime experience so much more than just a moving version of the manga. Reading Gekkan Shoujo no Nozaki-kun barely made me smile, whereas seeing the same gag in the anime had me in stitches. And for all the flaws of Prince of Tennis, the soundtrack and comic timing of the voice actors are second to none.

That being said ... sports manga! The thrill and rush of sports manga are best captured in movement and sound ... Haikyuu!, Kuroko no Basuke, and Yowamushi Pedal, for instance, are recent series that all benefit from the anime medium.

slayerette

07 Dec 2015, 10:45 #90

Depends on how closely the anime follows the manga. If it's closely done, then anime provides the benefit of being in full colour with great seiyuus and action (and in terms of anime like Nodame, amazing music). But more often than not manga has a lot more things going on than what is portrayed in anime and so the storyline is better.

marrye
marrye

07 Dec 2015, 14:00 #91

If I have to choose it would be Manga but I enjoy both.
because they usually cut off some parts of the story in the anime, so the manga is more complete .

happygirl10

10 Dec 2015, 12:01 #92

Manga all the way! Anime always destroys the original storyline of any manga (and not in a good way) and its so slow paced I just always end up fast forwarding most of it.

aoiko
aoiko

13 Dec 2015, 14:09 #93

I can't really choose which, because both have its ups and downs. With manga we can get complete story while with anime audio. I like both.

EllaAlden93

13 Dec 2015, 18:07 #94

For me it actually depens of the history.... I really hate when the anime is the exact opposite from the original story in the manga. And I also like that the manga lasts longer... But watching some of the love and action scenes in motion makes me go crazy!!!

Sweety8587

14 Dec 2015, 17:54 #95

Generally, I always prefer manga over the anime. Sure the anime is all animated and in color and sometimes the title will be picked up by a production house that'll put so much love into each line that its a joy to watch.

But there's always extra stuff they put in to drag the eps out for a 2-cour or they'll cut things out to make it fit to a 1 cour. Or they'll pick a seiyuu that I don't agree with for a character. Not to mention filler episodes... (Bleach I am looking at you. You're long enough as it IS, we don't need filler eps on top of that /cries )

Or the worst is when you only get a certain number of eps and they don't finish the story in those 13-26 eps! So then you HAVE to read the manga to know what happens next.

So yeah, I prefer the manga. Even if the art isn't the best, at least the story will follow its own pace and give us character developments and small moments that make the story so great. And there's very little chance for filler stuff in manga. The story is always a lot more focused.

(on the other hand if we get an anime that follows the manga faithfully? I'm ALL over that anime. Like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood!)

Alechanhime

14 Dec 2015, 19:47 #96

I prefer manga =) anime are full of fillers and it's a adaptation of manga, after all xD

Shirouda

14 Dec 2015, 20:13 #97

Most of the time I prefer manga but I'm horrible at keeping up with them... It's so much easier with anime

Andzia3
Advanced Member
Andzia3
Advanced Member

14 Dec 2015, 20:17 #98

Well... both. I do like watching anime and I do like reading manga. Both have good and bad sides. For example, manga is black-and-white and motionless, while special effects in the anime often really beautiful, especially if there's a fight. However, anime often ommits some details for the story or is discontinued, and sometimes boring scenes are made too long just to fill in the 20-minute-long episode :/

So well, I would say I both watch and read equally :)

Nelya
Nelya

14 Dec 2015, 20:20 #99

It's hard to read on-going manga, you need to have patience, but I prefer manga, because in anime we have usually unfinished story. Yes, I feel that it won't be Akatsuki no Yona season 2 :(

Grail
Grail

15 Dec 2015, 03:45 #100

If we are talking about titles that have both anime and manga versions:
Generaly I prefer watching the anime, but it really depends on the series. Sometimes the anime makers just make a mess out of a story when they adapt it into anime, and in that case I will always chose the manga.

If we are talking in general:
I prefer mangas over animes.