Why do you like Akatsuki No Yona?

Discuss all about Akatsuki no Yona here.
Dolciette

Jan 7 2016, 01:25 AM #26

I started reading it because a lot of my friends were recommending it. I'm a bit of an art snob so I tend to gravitate towards mangas with better art. The plot managed to draw me in almost immediately. I think I fell in love with the characters one-by-one as well - I love how they interact with one another and the story itself has become an interesting weave of politics, self-discovery, development (characters, relationships, and plot), and humor!

aoiko
aoiko

Jan 7 2016, 03:42 PM #27

At first I didn't really consider reading Akatsuki No Yona. However, mangaupdates recommended it because I read something familiar. Gave it a shot and here I am. I really like the idea behind the story. I am also a sucker for developing characters from weak to strong. Even though the slow romance is making me fall off my chair, I actually enjoy it.

Jan 7 2016, 07:04 PM #28

It's basically everything I like in a manga: fantasy setting, wonderful heroine, massive loyalty stuff everywhere. And then it managed to top that by actually being a complex, interesting mediation on what it means to be a good ruler and how vengeance and hurt don't destroy love. I've been more and more impressed by the series as it acknowledges the way Yona's power to actually fix things is limited by her position outside the official government. So much of what she can do is a band-aid over a gaping wound that can only be fixed by people who actually have the power to make policy and command men, and we actually get to see that with Lili and Tae-Jun. That's both impressive and unusual. And we get to see how complex people are, that fundamentally good people like the generals are blinded by privilege and power to the plight of the peasants, even in the recent bit where they didn't wait to see what the retreating army would do to the land they were leaving. I never expected to get a redemption arc for Tae-Jun, either, but it worked.

And I was beyond surprised when Shin-Ah's power actually was so monstrous and when he got lost in it. There really is reason for him to fear it.

Basically, just, the series continually resists the easy answers that would give an instant emotional rush to the reader by letting them see a victory, and instead focuses on the long, hard work that actually needs to be done. It lets Yona be in some ways ineffective in her personal efforts, in favor of setting the groundwork for real change. That's unusual and impressive, and really makes the series stand out.

Jan 7 2016, 07:50 PM #29

I stumbled across this manga when I was looking for a new manga to read. Man, I really like it because of Yona. Sure at first she was a super whinny baby, but she grew from that and didn't want to be incompetent. She wanted to be stronger, and I was drawn to that part of her character.

magdelena-lee

Jan 7 2016, 08:22 PM #30

I love akayona because it takes a cast of varied, complex characters and has them all gradually form a tight-knit family that truly cares for eachother. They cry together, they laugh together. They act like giant nerds together. They all love each other a lot and it's so sweet. Also, yona's character development is excellent. Also also, I love the optimism throughout the series, the idea that if people come together and do their best, they can help each other and make things better. It's so nice. ;_;

Epyon
Epyon

Jan 7 2016, 11:40 PM #31

I like AnY because it's different from a lot of shoujo anime/manga. The romance isn't the main part of it, it has a lot of bishies but it isn't a reverse harem. It has it serious moments and then it's funny moments. I like the characters, the story, the plot, the art... The heroine is a strong type. The character's own stories are interesting and touching. Yona's character development is great. And I like the fantasy world.

Codex
Codex

Jan 8 2016, 08:19 AM #32

1. The heroine has character development and learns to carry her own weight.

2. The main cast is highly likeable, and all have very interesting chemistry with each other.

3. The characters are positive, and try to do the right thing.

4. Adventure in a medieval fantasy setting

5. The antagonist is complex and rather tragic; you can feel how torn he is in having chosen his path, but still choosing to go on anyway.

ebeast
Advanced Member
ebeast
Advanced Member

Jan 9 2016, 12:09 AM #33

For me it's mainly the romance aspect; I really like the relationship that Yona and Hak share. As the story kept going I also found myself very interested in Soo Won and his motives as well as how Yona and her group are going to justify dealing with him when he's doing so much for his country.

Amaya
Amaya

Jan 19 2016, 05:53 AM #34

I like Akatsuki no Yona mainly because it's different to all the shoujos out there already. The heroine has great character development, and blossoms from an 'ignorant princess' to one who takes action and learns about the world beyond her castle. The story is also great, with an ever-growing universe and list of characters who help the main characters grow and progress on their journey.

Oh, and the art is breathtaking! XD (And Hak. He's just awesome~ <3)

Yoonassi

Jan 19 2016, 06:34 AM #35

I honestly hate the shoujo genre because it's so cliche. AnY is an exception because the plot isn't a stupid girl-meets-boy-and-romance-ensues kind of plot. It's very refreshing, especially since the main plot is about a sheltered princess who grows into a strong woman. I like that the characters are neither black or white, everyone has different layers to them. It's got adventure, politics, friendship, and there's Soo-won who makes an excellent villain.

Jan 19 2016, 08:02 PM #36

undomielregina @ Jan 7 2016, 07:04 PM wrote:It's basically everything I like in a manga: fantasy setting, wonderful heroine, massive loyalty stuff everywhere. And then it managed to top that by actually being a complex, interesting mediation on what it means to be a good ruler and how vengeance and hurt don't destroy love...
Basically all that everyone else has posted, and in particular, undomielregina's well-written one above.

I will follow a story through if it has an intriguing plot, but I'll only love a series if I love the characters. Also, I think having an excellently executed anime played a large part in making a good impression on me (it was my first introduction to Akatsuki). The art was beautiful, and the voices weren't annoying - even Yona when she was still an immature princess in the castle wasn't irritating to me.

Oh, it also doesn't have an annoying component that ruins many stories for me - the protagonist agonising over multiple potential love interests.

Jan 19 2016, 08:04 PM #37

Codex @ Jan 8 2016, 08:19 AM wrote: 5. The antagonist is complex and rather tragic; you can feel how torn he is in having chosen his path, but still choosing to go on anyway.
I agree with all that you've said, especially this point. =)

Klinterklater
Advanced Member
Klinterklater
Advanced Member

Jan 22 2016, 03:52 PM #38

I like the nice Atmopshere the characters are giving off, the Humor and Romance (which doesn't hit you in the face right after you start reading it) and that all of that is wrapped into a good Story. Characters who evolve and grow from chapter to chapter.
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem

awskop
awskop

Jan 26 2016, 10:44 PM #39

I love AnY. The plot is fantastic and the art truly wonderful. And that is before I even get to the characters. Yona is such a female bad-ass character and her dragon followers...there aren't enough words to say how much I love them.

strflp
strflp

Jan 27 2016, 01:36 PM #40

I like it because of the story. I have seen the anime and the first episode gave me a "historical korean drama" impression but I was happy that they developed Yona from a mindless princess into a strong woman. After the anme I started the manga. The plot and character development attracted me and also the character design. I love their clothes, textures and layers. The art is great!

kittendreamz
Advanced Member
kittendreamz
Advanced Member

Jan 27 2016, 09:36 PM #41

I think what I really enjoy about the series is the character development. Especially Yona's. I'm sort of the odd one out in that I tend to enjoy female characters and leads, but fandom, in most shoujo series, has a lot of hate on female protagonists. It's frustrating!

I'll admit that during the first few chapters I was a bit iffy on how I would feel about the series, but once I got passed it and Yona decided to live I just fell in love.

The characters are all charming, and I can't even bring myself to hate the villains. The story is engaging and so well written. I have no idea how it will end, but I have all the faith in the world in the author. It's truly a wonderful work of art and storytelling.

submarina

Feb 5 2016, 05:58 PM #42

Simple.

1) Strong, believable female protagonist, with major character development.

2) Said female character's very hot, superpower, fantasy-like harem.

mozukki
Advanced Member
mozukki
Advanced Member

Feb 13 2016, 05:53 AM #43

i like how much you really grow to care for the characters. you start rooting for them! especially yona, what a fantastic and fluent character development. rather than saying that the past yona and the present yona are two different people, i think of them as the same but yona's just jaded by journey! i love the dragons, hak, lili and soowon!
i'm not going to lie but i have a hard time associating soowon as a villain because what he's doing so far is doing the kingdom incredible good. so i just can't see him in that light :(
not to mention the plot is really good!! I really don't know what to expect first.

tartsplace

Feb 14 2016, 04:22 AM #44

There's a bunch of reasons I like it! I really like it for it's character development, especially Yona's. The characters are all so interesting too, even the minor characters! I also really like it for the art style, it's very nice to look at :)

Andzia3
Advanced Member
Andzia3
Advanced Member

Feb 14 2016, 07:57 PM #45

OK, so the main reason is Soo-Won. I rarely see such a complex and charismatic charakter not only in anime/manga, but even in our typical fantasy books. Beside him, I also like the setting and the storyline (with just one "but" - I strongly dislike Yona).

Lyn
Lyn

Feb 15 2016, 03:46 AM #46

The first time I read it, I didn't like it all that much because it is so cliche. Once I got past that, though, I started to enjoy it a lot more, mostly because a) Yona is badass, b) the story itself is actually engaging and c) I love the characters (and their ships) so much ^^

ayy
ayy

Feb 15 2016, 09:21 PM #47

I started reading it because my friend kept mentioning how much she loved this manga. At first, due to Yona's initial character, I really disliked it. However, I kept reading because my friend told me to give it another shot. I'm so glad I did! I liked seeing Yona gradually become a more stronger, independent person. Yona is now my favorite character, which I really didn't expect to happen. I also disliked Hak and Yona's relationship before, but now I love seeing their cute interactions. It's funny how my first impressions changed so quickly. Everything I disliked about Akatsuki no Yona, I now like lol.

silverwasabi

Feb 16 2016, 04:53 AM #48

The plot itself seemed really generic to me at first (the chosen one, reverse harem, etc.) but I think what really hooked me into it was how strong the character development was, and how that really aided the flow of the plot. AnY's strong point is its characters - they really do make the story, and its interesting seeing them develop from what originally seemed like cookie cutter characters into more fleshed out people (especially Yona - she went from typical damsel in distress to cute little badass).

Plus I'm a sucker for anything remotely historical in a sense (ancient times, monarchy, etc.)

achoicoi

Feb 23 2016, 03:35 AM #49

first, because the characters all charming hehe, and also the story and the plot. ANY is very entertaining I think :D

butterfingers

Feb 25 2016, 04:52 PM #50

I just started watching it and so far, I like the characters. I'm also liking it more because of the positive reviews I've been reading! Can't wait to finish the anime and start the manga.