if yona never witnessed suwon killing her father?

Discuss all about Akatsuki no Yona here.

if yona never witnessed suwon killing her father?

soju
Advanced Member
soju
Advanced Member

Dec 29 2015, 04:33 AM #1

i think if she didnt witness it... suwon would of just made something up... and at that time since she was lovestruck she prob would of believed him.Maybe later she would realize the truth and feel betrayed. Hmm and then at some point I wonder if Suwon would of used her to fetch the dragons.

Tora-chan
Advanced Member
Tora-chan
Advanced Member

Dec 30 2015, 10:03 PM #2

But Su-won doesn't really know that the four dragons actually exist in his time and that they're real not merely a legend! ;)

selinthia
Advanced Member
selinthia
Advanced Member

Dec 30 2015, 11:23 PM #3

Interesting to think about. I don't think Soo-Won meant for Yona to see, but at the same time, he didn't want to fall in love with her or admit to himself that she loved him. Before her birthday, it really seemed like he was trying to keep Yona in the friendzone. Not sure why....

So along that line of thought, maybe it doesn't seem that he wanted to get the throne by marrying her, but he couldn't really get the throne with her in the way and NOT marrying her. To me it seems like he always intended to get the throne and maybe didn't want to sacrifice Hak and Yona. So what would he have done if they didn't suspect him? I have two ideas:

1) Maybe he was trying to marry her to get the throne? EG Kye-sook did chase her around the palace right into Soo-won's arms. It could be he was trying to somehow get her to feel comforted/saved by him in order to get her to fall in love with him. Then he had second thoughts and was worried that she really did love Hak and couldn't go through with his deception to both his dear friends. Furthermore, when he thought she was going to say she loved him, maybe he was even more disgusted with himself for tricking her into loving him....either way, he aborted that mission.

- or -

2) Maybe if she didn't see her father's murder, she would be too scared to rule anyway and everyone (the five generals) would have admitted that Soo-won was a better choice. Thus he could have assumed the throne, Princess Yona could continue to be a spoiled princess, and Hak would be her protector (and the Wind General).

- or -

3) Maybe he always meant to kill her. Maybe he sent a guard to her room to murder her, but since she wasn't there....

superrlynn
Advanced Member
superrlynn
Advanced Member

Dec 31 2015, 06:25 PM #4

HM. I think she would have believed any lie that Soowon would have thrown at her because she was so in love with Soowon. We know he wanted to kill the king off because he wanted the throne to make the country better. IF she also didn't see it, he can still comfort her and stuff and spew out more lies, but then Hak might catch on to something and investigate on things and stuff. I'm not sure.

soju
Advanced Member
soju
Advanced Member

Dec 31 2015, 10:24 PM #5

i agree that suwon didnt want to marry yona just to be king and looked for other possible options. Like some people have mentioned i think that suwon and king II had discussed about the future of kouka and had many disagreements. I think the only reason why king II had ascended to the throne was because of yona and her red hair.

Before I thought that suwon is probably settling everything in kouka and giving it to Yona. But now i feel like he's getting everything in order and probably going to pass it to the rightful owner which is the fire tribe or possibly use them. Because the fire tribe have this myth that they are the descendants of king hiryuu.

Jan 1 2016, 12:33 AM #6

Even if Soo-Won had marrying Yona on his agenda, I think he had 2 things that were more important:
1) the welfare of the country
2) his relationship with Hak

So even if Yona never saw Soo-Won killing King Il, I don't think Soo-Won would have pursued Yona right away.

kana503
kana503

Jan 4 2016, 08:43 AM #7

I get the feeling that Yona would end up marrying Suwon, which would legitimize his control over the country. Over time, Yona would be a queen in name only, as she seemed extremely unfit in ruling in the beginning of the series.

Another idea is that Suwon might arrange Yona's death after a bit so that he would become the only blood successor of the throne. Then again, Suwon seems like he actually doesn't want Yona to die, so arrange her death would have to be set off by some provocation.

Bambi
Bambi

Jan 4 2016, 10:08 AM #8

Not very sure as to what Suwon was planning in store for Yona and Hak, but I think his team (such as the fire tribe general) would have been opposed with letting them live anyhow.

There may have been some truth to the story of Suwon's father's death and King Il somehow being part of it if he was so hell bent on killing Il instead of the "peaceful" way to the throne - marrying Yona. Possibly it never crossed his mind that it was an achievable method? Sounds strange but he's not sharp on the romantic stuff anyway haha.

Codex
Codex

Jan 7 2016, 11:47 PM #9

In flashbacks, Suwon realizes that when his plans of becoming King were fulfilled, Yona and Hak wouldn't be with him. I'm guessing that means he never meant to marry Yona and that he would have to remove Yona to become the legitimate heir.

Even if Yona didn't see Suwon kill her father, something would have been engineered to remove her--either an outright assassination (unlikely) or persuading her to renounce the throne and leave the palace for her own safety.

Lux
Advanced Member
Lux
Advanced Member

Jan 8 2016, 01:04 AM #10

I feel as though if Yona did not witness Suu-won killing her father, she would have done anything that Suu-won would've said because she trusts Suu-won and do anything she can for the man she loved. I am honestly not sure what was Suu-wons plans, since I honestly feel like Yona was not meant to witness the murder of her father. I feel like he either would've married her for the throne, maybe not out of like lust for her, but more as an arranged marriage type of situation and if not that, I'm sure he would've just kept her under lock and key, while Suu-won easily would ascend the throne as King.

azncraz
azncraz

Jan 8 2016, 07:26 AM #11

whoah i never really stopped to think about this before. I think the reason soowon was distancing himself from yona at the beginning was probably because he needed to get to the throne faster than by marrying yona and he knew he wouldn't be able to have resolve to betray yona and kill her father if he acknowledged yona's love for him.

I have a feeling the original plan included killing yona along with her father b/c soowon's lingering affection for the living yona would distract him from fulfilling what he set out to do as king. The plan also probabaly included killing Hak because Soowon would have definitely known how loyal Hak was to both Yona and her father and that he would turn against Soowon as soon as he knew Soowon killed the king.

If Soowon did decide to keep them alive, I agree that Yona would have forever believed whatever lie Soowon told her, but Soowon would probably feel way too guilty to ever marry Yona. Hak would eventually find out, but probably would never tell Yona or openly make a move against Soowon in order to keep Yona's heart from shattering. I think Hak would either go on the run with yona never telling her why or just step down from his position as wind tribe general so he doesn't have directly serve soowon and watch Yona from afar as she continues to live in the palace.

akmur
akmur

Jan 8 2016, 11:03 PM #12

I never really thought about this before... but I think the original plan was to kill her and Hak, too. Or at least exile them from the castle, if Soo-won was planning to have mercy on them. Because remember what he said in his flashback, just before he ascended the throne? That when he becomes king, Hak and Yona will not be by his side.

soju
Advanced Member
soju
Advanced Member

Jan 9 2016, 09:20 PM #13

i hope we get a bonus chapter on how life would be if yona never found out.

slayerette

Jan 10 2016, 12:54 AM #14

I'm hoping that Yona would not just naively accept his explanation of what happened...she might at first but rumours will get around and she, with Hak's help, may try and investigate what really happened. I could see the story going like that as well.

Luyta
Luyta

Jan 16 2016, 08:09 AM #15

kana503 @ Jan 4 2016, 08:43 AM wrote: I get the feeling that Yona would end up marrying Suwon, which would legitimize his control over the country. Over time, Yona would be a queen in name only, as she seemed extremely unfit in ruling in the beginning of the series.

Another idea is that Suwon might arrange Yona's death after a bit so that he would become the only blood successor of the throne. Then again, Suwon seems like he actually doesn't want Yona to die, so arrange her death would have to be set off by some provocation.
I agree with that part, Suwon didn't marry Yona because her father didn't approved, probably due to different views of the world with Suwon (he made that clear), so Suwon thought he had no option but to kill him. And I think he distanced himself from Yona given what he had decided to do, not because he didn't love her.

What I'm not so sure about is if he would have gone all the way and marry her. I think he has remorse, so he would have declined but still be king as normally men rule and he was still a candidate...

Jan 19 2016, 09:10 PM #16

Codex @ Jan 7 2016, 11:47 PM wrote: In flashbacks, Suwon realizes that when his plans of becoming King were fulfilled, Yona and Hak wouldn't be with him. I'm guessing that means he never meant to marry Yona and that he would have to remove Yona to become the legitimate heir.

Even if Yona didn't see Suwon kill her father, something would have been engineered to remove her--either an outright assassination (unlikely) or persuading her to renounce the throne and leave the palace for her own safety.
I agree with Codex - I don't think Soo Won would have had the heart to kill Yona if he didn't have to, but would rather send her away to protect her from alleged insurgents (like those who killed her mother). However, given his capacity for foresight, he'd also guess that Mundok would oppose his illegitimate ascension to the throne while Yona was still around, so she probably still would have had to be taken care of somehow.

Jan 19 2016, 09:16 PM #17

I feel the most sympathy for Soo Won; the other characters have had lonely and tortured pasts, but now they have Yona and each other. Soo Won, on the other hand, has willingly given up the ones dearest to him and all his past happiness, to strive toward a future where he knows he'll only be alone.

Court
Advanced Member
Court
Advanced Member

Jan 26 2016, 05:15 PM #18

Codex @ Jan 7 2016, 03:47 PM wrote: In flashbacks, Suwon realizes that when his plans of becoming King were fulfilled, Yona and Hak wouldn't be with him. I'm guessing that means he never meant to marry Yona and that he would have to remove Yona to become the legitimate heir.

Yeah and it seems that he recognized that Hak would go with Yona, because he says that he knew neither would be by his side. I always found it interesting that it appears he didn't consider marrying Yona which would have made everything much easier. Even Hak supported it. I mean even if he still killed King II and she didn't witness it, it still would have been the logical step to marry her and it seems he felt that wasn't the direction things were headed.

lolabeans

Mar 27 2016, 09:08 PM #19

Court @ Jan 26 2016, 05:15 PM wrote:
Codex @ Jan 7 2016, 03:47 PM wrote: In flashbacks, Suwon realizes that when his plans of becoming King were fulfilled, Yona and Hak wouldn't be with him. I'm guessing that means he never meant to marry Yona and that he would have to remove Yona to become the legitimate heir.

Yeah and it seems that he recognized that Hak would go with Yona, because he says that he knew neither would be by his side. I always found it interesting that it appears he didn't consider marrying Yona which would have made everything much easier. Even Hak supported it. I mean even if he still killed King II and she didn't witness it, it still would have been the logical step to marry her and it seems he felt that wasn't the direction things were headed.
I think he wanted to ascend the throne quickly because he somehow (still trying to understand exactly how he has all of this information on everyone) knew that everyone was conspiring against Kouka and that the country would be irreparably damaged if he waited too long.

Even if Yona hadn't seen and had believed whatever lie he told her, things would have been difficult because Hak wouldn't have (I'm also not sure that Suwon's conscious would have allowed him to marry Yona after killing her father; dude can clearly compartmentalize, but that may have been taking it too far). And I'm not sure Hak would have peacefully stood by and watched Yona marry the guy who murdered her father. Hak is hot-tempered and at this point he was also the general of the Wind Tribe. Suwon would have needed his permission (which he wouldn't get) to become the King.

No, I don't think his plans ever included them being there. I believe he would have had them both killed if it was really necessary, but that he was internally pleased when they escaped.

jinatonic

Apr 2 2016, 10:35 AM #20

I think Su Won might have kept it a secret until it was the right time to reveal it to Yona (in a cold manner, I believe) when he no longer needs her. Or Yona might have found out before Su Won tells her.

sprice14

Apr 11 2016, 10:09 AM #21

i wonder if yona's dad just approved of her marrying soo-won if things would have gone smoother. He probably still would've killed her father but he would have legitimate control as king instead of trying to force it

Miuna
Miuna

May 30 2016, 03:07 AM #22

She'd be dead

Jun 12 2016, 02:52 PM #23

I'm not sure much would have changed if Yona hadn't seen it, other than that Yona'd still be in the castle. I think Soo-Won would still be king - no one in their right mind would let the old Yona rule as queen, even if Kouka allows queens to rule on their own, and I doubt they'd have forced her to marry someone on the spot so that they could have a king. I think that Soo-Won already had the support of others like the Sky General so I doubt much would have changed. Hak would have supported Soo-Won too as king I think so I think that everything would have been the same. No one now seems to care that Yona's alive and that Soo-Won's king despite there being a living princess. Even when she was supposedly abducted by Hak no one cared about her being in Soo-Won's way to take over as king.

Celeste
Advanced Member
Celeste
Advanced Member

Jun 27 2016, 05:43 PM #24

The only thing I'm certain about is that if Yona hadn't witnessed her father getting murdered, she would still completely trust Soo-won, love him, and be pursuing him.

With that said, I don't think Soo-won would have married her. Even before Yona ever witnessed anything, I recall that Hak had asked Soo-won to marry Yona and Soo-won had already stated that he couldn't. It sounds like he never had any intention of marrying her to gain a throne. I think it's even possible he knew about Hak's feelings for Yona while growing up and that he himself never had those types of feelings for her. He'd actually wanted Hak to take care of Yona, correct? As for what he had planned to do with Yona after murdering her father, who knows. Without hardly knowing any of Soo-won's thoughts, there are too many scenarios that could have played out.

I'm wondering though why Soo-won would give Yona the hairpin if he didn't return her feelings or if he never intended to marry her. After all, Soo-won had to have known that giving her such a thing could be interpreted as a romantic gesture since he already knew by that point that she had feelings for him. So, I'm wondering if that has anything to do with what he'd planned for her after murdering her father. Again, it doesn't seem like Soo-won would marry her just to gain a throne but, even so, perhaps he had intended all along to keep her interested and by his side, at least until he accomplished his goals, so that she wouldn't/couldn't be pressured into marrying someone else? The fact that Yona saw her father getting killed probably eliminated any plans of keeping her by his side, and he probably had no choice but to do what he did with the hopes that Hak would come to her rescue and safely take her away.

HikariGo

Aug 16 2016, 03:00 PM #25

I think that the end result might have been the same.

I coud see it playing out this way:

- Hak tries to convince Yona of Soo-Won's actions, but Yona can't stand to believe him
- Hak is locked up, but eventually escapes to rescue Yona, who has in the mean time discovered the truth about what happened.

Either way, I agree with the above comment about Soo-Won refusing to marry Yona even if she had stayed with him, ignorant of his actions. Soo-Won had likely resolved himself to bury his feelings for Yona, as he knew that he eventually seek his revenge of King Il for his father's death. There is no way Soo-Won could ever marry Yona, after what he had done, with it clear that he accepted that outcome, before he committed the deed.